La historia

Corte de Blisworth


En 1833, Robert Stephenson fue nombrado ingeniero jefe de la línea London & Birmingham. Este fue el primer ferrocarril en Londres e implicó resolver problemas de ingeniería difíciles. Uno de los más difíciles fue en Blisworth, cerca de Northampton. El equipo de peones de Stephenson tuvo que abrirse camino a través de 1,5 millas de roca. Debajo de la capa superior de piedra había un grueso lecho de arcilla, debajo del cual se encontraron grandes cantidades de agua. Se utilizaron máquinas de vapor para bombear el agua y se colocaron dos locomotoras en cada extremo del corte, para arrastrar la roca y la arcilla excavadas. Mientras esto sucedía, 800 hombres estaban ocupados cavando, moviendo ruedas y haciendo voladuras. Cuando terminó el corte, se habían utilizado más de 3.000 barriles de pólvora. Se calculó que más de un millón de yardas cúbicas de material fueron excavadas, extraídas o hilvanadas en Blisworth Cutting.


BLISWORTH

Blidesworde (siglo xi) Bliseworthe (siglo xii) Bledesworth, Blithesworth (siglo xiii) Blysworth, Bleseworth (siglo xiv).

La parroquia de Blisworth cubre 1,980 acres, el suelo varía de una arcilla fuerte a un suelo mixto ligero y hacia la madera una marga negra. La parroquia abunda en piedra caliza y piedra de hierro, grandes cantidades de estas últimas han sido extraídas para el mineral. La tierra rinde excelentes cosechas. La población está cerca de 800. Una estación de ferrocarril en la línea principal de L.M.S. se encuentra a unos tres cuartos de milla del pueblo. Durante diez años (hasta que se construyó el ramal en virtud de la ley de 1843) Blisworth fue la estación de Northampton. El Grand Union Canal atraviesa Blisworth y pasa a la parroquia vecina de Stoke Bruerne a través de un túnel de 1¾ millas de largo. Este túnel fue construido en 1806 y el contratista, conocido como 'Barnes of Banbury', era un hombre que no sabía ni leer ni escribir, realizó todos sus cálculos y estimaciones con la fuerza de la memoria.

El pueblo contiene muchas casas del siglo XVII y principios del XVIII, en su mayoría de piedra de hierro y piedra mezclada, con techos de paja o pizarra. Un granero con techo inclinado en el extremo este del pueblo tiene un panel en el frontón con la inscripción '1663 G.B.' Algunas de las casas conservan sus ventanas con parteluz, pero en la mayoría de los casos las ventanas han sido modificadas.

Hay una capilla bautista en el pueblo, construida en 1825, una residencia para el ministro y un cementerio que se agregó en 1865, y una sala de conferencias en 1885.

Señorío

En el momento de la Encuesta Domesday, William Peverel tenía 3 ½ cueros en BLISWORTH. (nota 1) A su muerte en 1114, la tierra pasó a su hijo William Peverel, que ocupaba en el momento de la Encuesta de Northamptonshire. (Nota 2) Perdió sus tierras por traición, y en Michaelmas 1157 el rey concedió a Robert de Peissi tierras en Blisworth y Newbottle por un valor anual de 43 libras esterlinas. (nota 3) En 1181 su hijo Robert ocupó Blisworth, (nota 4) pero al año siguiente fue sucedido por William, hijo de Robert. (nota 5) En 1189, Ricardo I concedió el señorío de Blisworth a su hermano John Count of Mortain, quien ocupó la mansión hasta 1194, cuando el rey retomó la posesión del honor de Peverel. En ese momento, Matthew de Clere tenía Newbottle y Blisworth, por un valor anual de £ 43. (nota 6) En 1199 el rey concedió a William de Ferrers, conde de Derby, nieto de Margaret, heredera de William Peverel el joven, el señorío de los cien de Higham, Blisworth y Newbottle, a cambio del pago de 2,000 marcas. (nota 7) Isabel, viuda de Robert de Peissi, demandó al conde de Ferrers por estas propiedades, pero el caso fue desestimado porque Isabel no tenía ningún derecho sobre la tierra excepto por su marido, quien la tenía por concesión de Enrique II cuando el el honor de Peverel estaba en sus manos. (nota 8) William de Ferrers murió en 1247 y fue sucedido por su hijo William Earl of Derby, quien murió en 1254 dejando un hijo, Robert, que nació en 1239. Recibió la librea de sus tierras en 1260, pero las perdió durante seis años. más tarde, cuando se concedió el honor de Peverel a Edmund, conde de Lancaster, y se incorporó al ducado de Lancaster.

Despertarse. O dos barras de gules con tres roundels de gules en el jefe.

William Earl of Derby otorgó la mansión de Blisworth y el advowson de la iglesia a William Briwerre, que se celebrará como la mitad de una tarifa, la concesión fue confirmada por el rey John en 1199. (nota 9) Al año siguiente, Briwerre recibió permiso para asalte 60 acres de bosque en Blisworth. (nota 10) En 1212 se le concedió madera del bosque de Leicestershire para construir un sótano y una cámara en Blisworth, (nota 11) y al año siguiente obtuvo una licencia para cultivar 30 acres más de bosques, más allá del respeto. (nota 12) En 1220 se le concedieron 24 baúles para postes y vigas cuadradas y 2 cayados del bosque de Salcey para reconstruir sus casas en Blisworth. (Nota 13) A su muerte en 1227, la mansión descendió a su hijo William, que murió en 1232, y Blisworth fue asignado a su viuda Joan en dote. (Nota 14) Al año siguiente, la mansión fue asignada a William de Percy a nombre de sus hijas, coherederas de una quinta parte de la propiedad de William Briwerre. (nota 15) Joan parece haber conservado la posesión de la mansión, sin embargo, que descendió a su muerte en 1265 (nota 16) a Sir Baldwin Wake, el nieto de Isabel de Briwerre, hermana y coheredero de William y esposa de Baldwin Estela de Bourne. Participó con los barones contra Enrique III, ofensa por la que el rey otorgó su mansión de Blisworth a Alan Plugenet, quien la ocupó en 1266. (Nota 17) Sir Baldwin probablemente la redimió bajo el premio de Kenilworth, y mantuvo la vista de frankpledge y otros privilegios allí en 1276. (nota 18)

Se dice que Sir Baldwin murió el 4 de febrero de 1282, (nota 19) y el 20 de julio el rey entregó la mansión, que estaba valorada en £ 32 8s., a Philip Burnel. (Nota 20) El hijo de Baldwin y heredero John de su segunda esposa, Hawise de Quincy, siendo menor de edad, el rey concedió la custodia de sus tierras en Northamptonshire a Edmund, Conde de Cornualles, el 27 de octubre de 1282. (Nota 21) El El año siguiente, Hawise Wake entabló una acción contra el conde alegando que ella y su esposo habían sido confiscados de la mansión conjuntamente, pero el caso fue desestimado porque el transporte conjunto no se había llevado a cabo correctamente. (nota 22) John alcanzó la mayoría de edad en enero de 1295, (nota 23) y antes de su muerte en 1300 enfeoffó a su tío Sir Hugh Wake de Deeping en la mitad de la tarifa en Blisworth, reservándose para sí mismo el advowson de la iglesia y un anual alquiler de £ 10 de la mansión. (Nota 24) A su muerte en 1315 (Nota 25) Sir Hugh Wake fue sucedido por su hijo Thomas, a quien se le concedió la madriguera libre en Blisworth el 22 de febrero de 1330. (Nota 26) Ese mismo año defendió su derecho a la vista de frankpledge en la mansión. (nota 27) Se casó con Elizabeth, hija y heredera de Hugh Cransley, y fue sucedido alrededor de 1346 (nota 28) por su hijo Sir Thomas Wake, esposo de la hermana Alice y co-heredero de William de Pateshull. (nota 29) Vivía en septiembre de 1379, (nota 30) pero probablemente murió poco después, dejando a Blisworth con su esposa de por vida. A su muerte en 1398 le sucedió su nieto Thomas, el hijo mayor sobreviviente de su hijo Thomas, (nota 31) que había muerto en agosto de 1383 (nota 32). Estaba casado con Margaret Philipot, la hermana de Sir John Philipot, ciudadano y tendero de Londres, a quien Ricardo II le había otorgado las tierras y el matrimonio del heredero de Sir Thomas Wake en septiembre de 1383. (nota 33) Thomas Wake murió antes de 1425, y la mansión pasó a su hijo Thomas, quien era luego unos 23 años. (nota 34) Se casó con Agnes, hija y heredera de Thomas Lovell de Clevedon, Somerset, y murió el 10 de septiembre de 1458, (nota 35) siendo sucedido por su hijo Thomas, que nació alrededor de 1434. Por su primera esposa, cuya no se conoce su nombre, tuvo dos o tres hijos, el mayor de los cuales, Roger, lo sucedió a su muerte en mayo de 1476. (nota 36) Como seguidor de Ricardo III, Enrique VII, su mansión de Blisworth, lo alcanzó. concedido a Sir James Blount. (Nota 37) Sus tierras fueron posteriormente restauradas por Ley del Parlamento en 1487. (Nota 38) Murió el 16 de marzo de 1504 dejando la mansión de Blisworth a su esposa Elizabeth, hija de Sir William Catesby de Ashby Ledgers, durante su vida. (nota 39) Luego se casó con Sir John Gray, cuarto hijo de Thomas Marqués de Dorset, y fue sucedida por su hijo Thomas Wake, quien vendió la mansión Blisworth a Sir Richard Knightley de Fawsley en 1522 o 1523. (nota 40) Sir Richard murió en diciembre de 1535 dejando a Blisworth con su hijo menor, Sir Edmund Knightley, y Ursula, su esposa. (nota 41) Concedieron la mansión a Enrique VIII en 1542, a cambio de otras propiedades, (nota 42) y se incorporó al recién creado honor de Grafton. (nota 43) La administración de la mansión fue otorgada a Sir John Williams en 1545. (nota 44)

Fitzroy, duque de Grafton. Las armas del rey Carlos II con la diferencia de un siniestro baston gobony argent y azure.

En 1592 o 1593 el sitio de la mansión fue otorgado a Thomas Andrew de Charwelton, (nota 45) cuyo nieto Thomas vivía allí en 1618 (nota 46). En 1628 Blisworth, con otras diez mansiones, fue entregada a Sir Francis Crane, el administrador de las obras de tapicería de Mortlake, como garantía de un préstamo de 7.500 libras esterlinas adelantado a la Corona. (nota 47) Siete años después, el solar de la mansión fue arrendado a Sir Robert Cooke por un período de treinta y un años. (Nota 48) En un estudio de las propiedades de la Corona realizado en 1660, se observa que Blisworth contiene 894½ acres de tierra cultivable, 405 acres de pastos y sin praderas. (Nota 49) Al expirar el contrato de arrendamiento de Cooke en 1665, Carlos II otorgó la mansión con muchas otras propiedades a Denzil Lord Hollis, Philip Earl de Chesterfield y otros cinco. (nota 50) En 1673, sin embargo, Blisworth fue entregado por el rey a Enrique Conde de Arlington, y el resto a su yerno Henry Fitzroy, (nota 51) quien tuvo éxito en su muerte en 1685. Fue creado duque de Grafton en 1675, y Blisworth permaneció en manos de sus descendientes hasta 1919, cuando se vendieron la mayoría de las propiedades de Northamptonshire de los duques de Grafton.

Iglesia

La iglesia de S T. JUAN EL BAUTISTA Consta de presbiterio, 30 pies 4 m. por 18 pies 8 pulg. nave despejada, 61 pies 6 pulg. por 18 pies 8 pulg. pasillos norte y sur, porche norte de 11 pies 6 pulg. de ancho y torre oeste, 9 pies 10 pulg. por 9 pies 6 pulg., todas estas medidas son internas. El pasillo norte es la longitud total de los cinco tramos de la nave, pero el pasillo sur (nota 52) es de tres tramos solamente. El ancho de la nave y los pasillos es de 47 pies 2 pulg.

El edificio generalmente es de piedra caliza toscamente curvada, mezclada en la torre con piedra de hierro local. Los techos del presbiterio y la nave son de pizarra, los de las naves emplomadas y el pórtico está cubierto con tejas modernas. Hay parapetos rectos en el presbiterio y los pasillos: los voladizos del techo de la nave. Internamente, excepto en la torre, todos los muros están enlucidos.

La iglesia fue restaurada en 1855-6 cuando se removió una galería y los bancos se convirtieron en bancos abiertos, y en 1871 los pisos se pavimentaron con baldosas encáusticas. El pasillo sur fue reconstruido en 1926.

El presbiterio y los tres tramos orientales de la nave pertenecen a una iglesia con nave de finales del siglo XIII, cuya nave y la nave norte se extendieron hacia el oeste, y la nave se reconstruyó, y tal vez se amplió, alrededor de 1320-30. La torre siguió más tarde. en el siglo XIV. La nave sur parece tener su ancho original, con una capilla en su extremo este separada del resto por un arco transversal del siglo XIII y techado en ángulo recto con la nave con un frontón hacia el sur. Los portales norte y sur (nota 53) también son del siglo XIII con bordes enrollados. Con la excepción del pórtico, que parece haber sido agregado o reconstruido en el siglo XV, no se hicieron más cambios en el plan posteriormente. En el siglo XV, sin embargo, se insertaron nuevas ventanas en el presbiterio y se erigió o reconstruyó el triforio.

El presbiterio es de dos tramos y tiene dos ventanas del siglo XIII en el lado sur, siendo el muro sur sustancialmente de ese período, pero en el siglo XIV los muros este y norte fueron completamente reconstruidos o reformados. La ventana este de cinco luces puntiaguda tiene una tracería de un tipo inusual (nota 54) que probablemente sea de esta fecha, y los contrafuertes angulares están colocados en diagonal: un zócalo biselado y una cuerda se encuentran solo en el norte y el este. En el lado norte, las dos bahías son iguales, cada una contiene una ventana puntiaguda del siglo XV de tres luces cinquefoil con tracería vertical, y una entrada bloqueada en la bahía occidental, pero en el lado sur las bahías son desiguales en tamaño. De las dos ventanas puntiagudas anteriores en la pared sur, la más oriental es de dos luces puntiagudas sin tapones con un círculo de trébol en la cabecera, y tiene jambas de doble biselado y un capó-moldura. En carácter, es anterior a la otra, que también es de dos luces pero con un parteluz bifurcado y las jambas tienen un chaflán hueco exterior, pero toda la obra anterior en la iglesia es de un tipo que parece haber prevalecido en Northamptonshire desde alrededor de 1260 a 1300 e incluso más tarde, lo que es difícil de fechar con precisión sin pruebas documentales. Más al oeste, su alféizar considerablemente más alto que los demás, hay una ventana insertada de tres luces del siglo XV como las de enfrente, y en un nivel más bajo en el ángulo suroeste del presbiterio, una ventana rectangular plana de lado bajo, ahora bloqueada. (Nota 55) En la pared opuesta, en el ángulo noroeste, hay una abertura más pequeña bloqueada en el lado bajo de la fecha del siglo XV, con una cabeza trébol y una moldura rectangular que se extiende ampliamente hacia el este en el interior. (Nota 56) La piscina de finales del siglo XIII tiene un hueco liso de doble achaflanado hueco y cuenco estriado saliente sostenido por un fuste con capitel moldeado. No hay sedilia. En el ángulo suroeste del presbiterio hay un estrabismo, ahora bloqueado, desde el pasillo. (Nota 57) El arco del presbiterio bajo y extenso es una reconstrucción del siglo XIV contemporánea a la extensión occidental de la nave, es de dos órdenes biselados, el interior sobre semioctogonal responde con capiteles y basas moldurados. Hay una buena mampara de roble del siglo XV con aberturas trazadas, paneles inferiores lisos y tapa moldeada. Los puestos se han restaurado mucho. Los balaustres del altar son aparentemente de finales del siglo XVII. El techo del presbiterio es moderno. (Nota 58) La escalera del desván del siglo XV permanece en muy perfectas condiciones en el lado norte del arco del presbiterio en el extremo este de la arcada de la nave, y la pared se ha engrosado para tal fin. La puerta inferior es cuadrangular y la superior de cabecera cuadrada con moldura almenada. (nota 59)

La arcada sur de la nave, de finales del siglo XIII, consta de tres arcos apuntados de dos órdenes achaflanados, con campana-moldura a cada lado, que brotan de pilares octogonales con capiteles y basas moldurados y de réplicas de similar carácter. Las bases tienen doble rollo, excepto la del oeste responden que no está moldeada, y los capiteles difieren levemente en el detalle, el del pilar más occidental tiene una banda de pequeños tréboles y cuatrifolios debajo del ábaco. Los tres arcos correspondientes de la arcada norte ligeramente anterior son del mismo carácter general, pero las bases están biseladas y sobre zócalos cuadrados y los capiteles son de menor altura. Cuando la arcada se extendió hacia el oeste, se reutilizó la antigua respuesta y se erigieron dos nuevos pilares y arcos. Los nuevos vanos mantuvieron el diseño general, pero las molduras de los capiteles y bases indican su fecha posterior.

El pasillo sur no tiene contrafuertes y, aunque reconstruido, conserva gran parte de su carácter anterior. El arco que divide la capilla en su extremo este del resto de la nave es de dos órdenes biselados, brotando del pilar más oriental de la arcada y de un responder con capitel moldeado. La capilla está iluminada en el extremo sur por una gran ventana cuadrada de cinco luces con jambas y parteluces moldeados, (nota 60) debajo de la cual, en el interior, hay un hueco de pared tardío con arco conopial moldeado plano. (Nota 61) Ha desaparecido una antigua piscina. El pasillo también está iluminado por una moderna ventana puntiaguda de dos luces, al oeste de la cual está la entrada. En el muro sur de la nave, entre el pasillo y la torre, hay una ventana apuntada originalmente de tres luces cuyos parteluces han sido eliminados.

El pasillo norte tiene un pequeño contrafuerte diagonal en el ángulo noroeste y está iluminado por tres ventanas en el muro norte y una en cada extremo. La ventana este es de cabecera cuadrada y de tres luces en forma de trébol, aparentemente una inserción del siglo XV, y que en el extremo oeste también es de cabecera cuadrada pero de dos luces, y ha sido alterada y la parte inferior bloqueada. La pequeña ventana puntiaguda en la pared norte al oeste del porche es de dos luces de trébol con jambas de doble biselado y moldura, pero se han renovado los parteluces de los dos más grandes al este del porche. La puerta puntiaguda de finales del siglo XIII tiene una moldura continua. El extremo este del pasillo está protegido para una sacristía.

El porche tiene un techo de pendiente alta con un aguilón en cada extremo, que se coloca sobre el techo del pasillo, y un arco exterior apuntado con molduras continuas en el hastial de arriba hay una piedra con la inscripción 'd. C. 1607, w.d., c.m. '

El triforio tiene tres ventanas de cuatro centros ampliamente espaciadas de dos luces cinquefoiled a cada lado, colocadas sin respetar los arcos de abajo. El moderno techo de madera de la nave es de seis tramos.

La torre es de tres pisos divididos por cuerdas, con zócalo moldeado y pares de contrafuertes de cuatro pisos en sus ángulos occidentales que llegan hasta la parte superior del segundo piso, sobre el cual hay pequeños contrafuertes diagonales. En el escenario inferior hay una ventana oeste puntiaguda restaurada de dos luces con trébol, pero los lados norte y sur están en blanco. El escenario intermedio tiene una pequeña abertura en trébol a cada lado, que en el norte ahora está cubierto por una esfera de reloj, y las ventanas de la cámara campanario puntiagudas son de dos luces de trébol con un cuatrifolio en la cabeza. La torre termina en un parapeto almenado sin pináculos. No hay vicio. El arco apuntado de la nave es de dos órdenes continuos achaflanados con campana-moldura en el lado este y un solo orden en el oeste.

La pila es antigua y consta de un cuenco circular liso en forma de cubo (nota 62) sobre pedestal y base cilíndricos y escalón octogonal. (nota 63)

El púlpito de madera es moderno. Las armas reales de Jorge III (antes de 1801) están sobre el arco de la torre.

Hay porciones de vidrio medieval en la tracería de la ventana noroeste del presbiterio. (nota 64)

La tumba de mesa de Roger Wake (m. 1503-4) y su esposa Elizabeth Catesby se encuentra debajo de la ventana sur de la capilla, frente al hueco de la pared arqueada, y es de piedra de piedra con una losa de mármol Purbeck en la parte superior. Los lados están panelados con escudos de armas. En la losa están los latones de Roger y su esposa, con grupos de siete hijos y tres hijas debajo, un escudo en cada ángulo y una inscripción de bronce alrededor del borde de la siguiente manera: `` Aquí se encuentra Roger Wake Esquyer Lorde de Blysworthe en el condado de Northampton y Elyzabeth su wyffe. . . que Roger decessyd el xvj día de marzo el yere de nuestro Señor Dios M o ccccciij, en cuya alma Ihū tengo m'cy '. (nota 65)

En el presbiterio hay monumentos murales a Margaret Blackey (nota 66) (m. 1673) y Rebeckah Yates (m. 1679), esposa de Jonathan Yates, rector. En la nave hay un monumento a los veintitrés hombres de la parroquia que cayeron en la guerra de 1914-1918.

Hay un dial de cero en la jamba oeste de la ventana inferior en el lado sur del presbiterio.

Hay un repique de cinco campanas, la segunda y tercera por Bartholomew Atton de Buckingham 1624, la cuarta por Henry Bagley III en 1713, y la primera y la quinta por Thomas Eayre de Kettering 1758. (nota 67).

El plato consta de una copa de 1570, una patena del siglo XVII (C. 1636), una taza y patena de 1845, un plato de limosna de 1846 y una jarra de 1870. (nota 68).

Los registros antes de 1812 son los siguientes: (i) todas las entradas 1545-enero de 1703–4 (ii) bautismos y entierros de septiembre de 1705–71, matrimonios hasta 1753 (iii) matrimonios 1754–1812 (iv) bautismos y entierros 1772–1812 . Las entradas del primer volumen son imperfectas hasta alrededor de 1557.

En el lado norte de la iglesia, junto al camino que conduce al pórtico, se encuentran los escalones y el zócalo de una cruz de cementerio. (nota 69)

Advowson

El derecho de presentación a la iglesia fue otorgado a William Briwerre por el conde de Derby y confirmado por el rey Juan en 1199. El advowson pasó con la mansión a Sir Baldwin Wake a la muerte de Joan Briwerre. Cuando su hijo John le entregó la mansión a su tío Hugh Wake, retuvo el advowson y el alquiler de 10 libras esterlinas de la mansión. El advowson y la renta pasaron a su hermana y heredera Margaret, esposa de Edmund de Woodstock, conde de Kent, cuyo hijo John Earl de Kent murió arrebatado de ellos en 1352. (nota 70) Su heredera fue su hermana Joan, 'the Fair Maid of Kent ', esposa de Sir Thomas de Holand y, en segundo lugar, de Edward Prince of Wales. Murió en 1385 embargada de la renta y advowson, (nota 71) que pasó a su hijo Thomas de Holand, conde de Kent. Murió en 1397, (nota 72) y su hijo Thomas fue acusado de alta traición en 1399. Sin embargo, la advowson había sido asignada a su madre Alice como dote en 1398 y ella murió en posesión de ella en 1416. (nota 73) Sus herederas fueron sus cinco nietas una de ellas fue Leonor Condesa de March, quien falleció antes que ella, dejando como heredero a un hijo Edmund Earl de March, quien murió adueñado de una quinta parte de la advowson en 1425 dejando tres coherederos (nota 74) pero Joan, viuda de Thomas Earl of Kent, murió en posesión de la advowson en 1442, mantenida en dote por cesión de los herederos de Alice. Su heredero fue Humphrey Earl de Stafford, el hijo de su hermano. (nota 75) El advowson probablemente volvió a la corona cuando su bisnieto Edward Duke de Buckingham, conde de Stafford, fue atacado en 1523. El advowson fue otorgado a Sir Christopher Hatton en mayo de 1579, (nota 76) y permaneció en la posesión de su familia hasta el siglo XIX. La vida estaba en el regalo del reverendo W. Barry, el rector de Blisworth, y sus descendientes de 1839 a 1930, pero luego fue adquirido por los gobernadores de Canford School, Dorset.

Organizaciones benéficas

En 1504 Roger Wake dejó un terreno en Bedfordshire para la fundación de una capilla en la capilla de Santa María la Virgen, cuyo capellán también mantendría una escuela primaria gratuita en el pueblo. La escuela se llamaba Roger Wake's Chauntre and Free School, y en la confiscación de las tierras de la Capilla se continuó con la orden de los Comisionados de la Capilla, con un estipendio fijo de £ 11 cobrado sobre los ingresos de la Corona. Todo rastro de una escuela primaria había desaparecido a principios del siglo XIX, y desde entonces el estipendio se adjunta al salario de un maestro de escuela primaria. (nota 77)

Al cierre de la parroquia, se asignó una parcela de tierra en lugar de tierras que antes se habían apropiado para la reparación de la iglesia. El alquiler actual asciende a alrededor de £ 20.

Jane Leeson por su testamento probado en 1649 cargó ciertas tierras con pagos para los pobres de muchos lugares (incluyendo £ 1 10s. un año para Blisworth) para ser distribuido por el rector, los guardianes de la iglesia y los supervisores de las distintas ciudades y pueblos. Esta suma ahora es distribuida a los pobres por el rector y cuatro fideicomisarios designados por el Consejo Parroquial de Blisworth.

Maria Anne Westley por su testamento el 3 de marzo de 1931 legó las ganancias netas de sus 3 mensajes a los fideicomisarios de la capilla bautista de Blisworth, para aplicar los ingresos al estipendio del ministro de dicha capilla. La dotación ahora está representada por £ 139 11s. 9D. 3½% de acciones de guerra.


Descripción

SP 7254 BLISWORTH HIGH STREET
(Lado sur)
23/10 La vieja rectoría


Casa, antigua rectoría. Fechado 1841. Sillar de piedra caliza, cubiertas de pizarra, remate de piedra.
y pilas de crestas. Plano de doble profundidad. 2 plantas y abuhardillada gama de 3 ventanas.
El porche central a dos aguas tiene una entrada de piedra de doble biselado con una cabecera centrada en 4
Puertas de doble hoja, enjutas cortadas y moldura de capota. Pináculos octogonales a ángulos,
Ventanas de 1 luz con doble acristalamiento a los lados y parapeto y hastial de piedra con
datestone. El porche está flanqueado por estrechas ventanas de guillotina con piedra de doble biselado
rodea. Las bahías a ambos lados se abren hacia adelante y tienen parteluz de piedra biselada y
ventanas de travesaño a la planta baja, ventanas de parteluz de piedra biselada de 2 luces a la primera
piso, todo con pares de pequeñas hojas y molduras de capota, y una pequeña hoja con
Envolvente de piedra achaflanada al hastial del ático. Zócalo, hilera de cuerdas del 1er piso y
aleros de piedra entre corchetes. Planta única, ala de 3 ventanas a la derecha. Interior señalado como
tener escalera de pozo abierto con balaustres torneados simples, extremos de la banda de rodadura tallados y
Pasamanos de caoba con rampas y coronaciones.


Corte Blisworth - Historia

Esta es una página del sitio web independiente, página de inicio: http://blisworth.org.uk/images/index.html

La historia de Blisworth Arm

El objetivo de esta página es hacer referencia a los documentos que proporcionan detalles históricos y ofrecer (a) una línea de tiempo simple, (b) un mapa y (c) una lista de los principales usuarios del Northampton Arm (hasta 1970).

También hay un mapa interactivo de la aldea de Blisworth Arm para indicar la ubicación de algunos de los edificios históricos.

Agradecimientos: Agradecemos a todas las personas que ayudaron a recopilar esta información: David Blagrove, Reg Spittles, Phil Lizius, Brian Collings, Sally Edwards, John Dale, Doreen Blood, James Payler, Dave Goodwin y George Freeston, quien rescató gran parte de la correspondencia de Millner. ahora en la NRO

Horarios de Domesday, es decir, 1066 - todo esto sería una tierra 'baldía', nada de lo que los normandos quisieran tomar nota, excepto una pista, parte de la muy antigua Oxenford Way La ruta comercial, que probablemente data del siglo VIII si Offa de Mercia la estableció, atravesaba el área en un eje más o menos de norte a sur que unía Oxford y Northampton a través de Greens Norton y la parroquia de Tiffield. [Una teoría supone que el camino antiguo coincide con el eje de la carretera a través de Blisworth Arm, otra supone que sigue la carretera de Gayton, en las inmediaciones, y se une un poco al este de Arm End.

Medieval - Imagínese esta pista, dividiendo las parroquias de Blisworth y Gayton, y campos de media milla a la redonda. La parroquia de Gayton se cerró muy temprano, mientras que esta parte de la parroquia de Blisworth no se cerró hasta c1800. Solo estarían los lugareños trabajando todo el día en sus surcos, escuchando la campana del pueblo para tocar su & quot; hora del té & quot.

1757 - Toda el área al sur de la pista era parte de un terreno común llamado campo inferior o campo Blisworth. El campo cerrado más cercano (The Lowne) se alquiló a Wm. Plowman, descendiente de un beneficiario de las compras de tierras de la corona de Cromwell en 1650. En el momento de la Encuesta Grafton en 1757, la mayoría de los agricultores que se consideraron buenos agricultores recibieron alguna concesión de cercado sobre partes de la tierra común, por lo que el patrón de "surco y surco" de la agricultura familiar estaba siendo eliminado. La pista podría estar menos mantenida que en la época medieval, corriendo a lo largo del límite de la parroquia de Blisworth y Gayton, probablemente sirviendo principalmente a los campos ya cerrados (c1600) en la parroquia de Gayton. La "ruta comercial" se había transferido hace mucho tiempo a una antigua carretera que pasaba por Blisworth y que pronto se convertiría en una autopista de peaje (de ahí la A43).

1794 - El corte principal del Canal de Grand Junction se estableció tan al sur como la autopista de peaje en la aldea de Blisworth, donde se creó un muelle de transbordo. Los lugareños no verían el sentido de este "río" artificial. . . todavía. La pista se dobla un poco y forma el comienzo de una calle corta que atraviesa un caserío.

1805 - Uniéndose al Canal Grand Junction se cavó un

Canal de 150 yardas de largo que conducía a un ferrocarril de caballos que conectaba el canal con Northampton. El lugar se llamaba Brazo de Northampton y permaneció así hasta aproximadamente 1891 cuando se utilizó el nombre Blisworth Arm en el censo. Pickfords se mudó de los muelles de Blisworth al Arm para operar el ferrocarril de caballos, habiendo operado el ferrocarril de Blisworth Hill desde 1800 - 1805 mientras se terminaba el túnel.
Se cerró una pequeña granja de aproximadamente 50 acres (?) Y se asignó al inquilino John Dix; probablemente se expandió rápidamente a una granja de 152 acres más tarde conocida como (Antigua) Arm Farm.

1807 - Se abrió una taberna y se cree que inicialmente se llamó The New Inn (por no más de 20 años), más tarde se llamó Navigation Inn - fotografías. El 13 de enero de 1806, George Moore facturó al duque de Grafton 1,16 dólares por los andamios de madera (skafles) para una taberna en Railway End, Blisworth Field. En el mapa del Premio 1809 se muestra como una casa (granja) sin etiquetar en la esquina de un gran campo. Ver detalles en la página asociada.

1815 - 1 de mayo, todo Brazo de Northampton, como una vía fluvial de un solo ancho, se había cavado y se abrió al tráfico, por lo que el río Nene estaba conectado al sistema de canales. El ferrocarril de caballos se cerró y Pickfords Company se alejó del Arm. Un nombre como Railway End dio paso a Extremo del brazo. Pickfords, una empresa con sus raíces en el siglo XVII, también operaba fly-boats c1800, pero en 1850 había cerrado su negocio de canales en favor de los ferrocarriles. Aunque fue construido como un canal de un solo ancho para ahorrar agua, GJCCC dio una condición a los empresarios de Northampton que, si las esclusas de Foxton y Watford se ensanchaban más tarde, también lo harían las diecisiete esclusas del Arm.

1817 - Las dos cabañas, que fueron colocadas en una sola casa como residencia de Thomas Millner en 1900, fueron construidas junto al puente No. 2 para servir como alojamiento para los trabajadores del canal.

c1820 - Se presume que GJCCC estableció su patio de mantenimiento en su ubicación actual más o menos inmediatamente que se completó el brazo. Hay una referencia de que los rieles tomados del ferrocarril para caballos se apilaron en el patio y, en 1824, una "gran pila de rieles aguarda su eliminación". Algunos fueron ofrecidos al Thames Tunnel Co, que comenzó las operaciones de construcción de túneles en 1825 y se cree que el montón de rieles pudo haber sido visto por Sir Marc Brunel, padre de IK, quien estaba en el área en 1824 asesorando a Oxford Canal Co sobre enderezar su línea al norte de Braunston. Se le dieron algunos rieles a John Roper para que los usara para el ferrocarril de piedra caliza en Blisworth Stone Works y George Freeston ha desenterrado los restos.

c1820 - Una característica de datación incierta fue el puente construido a través del cuello de The Arm que se extiende hasta Toll Cottage - Bridge No.1. Es de suponer que se trataba de un asunto de madera relativamente endeble, para los peatones, especialmente el peaje, ya que era un puente giratorio, probablemente flotante, para permitir la entrada de barcos en el Brazo. Estaba flanqueado por una puesta en escena al banco en el lado de la cabaña y se unió a una península sustancial de tierra en el otro lado, como se muestra en el mapa detallado. Si la puesta en escena es a lo que se hace referencia en la conversación grabada sobre el peaje, entonces el puente todavía estaba en uso después de 1890.

18?? - Otras características de la datación incierta son (a). establecimiento de la fábrica de ladrillos (¿Sr. Savage inicialmente?) justo al norte del puente No 2. Aunque es lógico esperar fábricas de ladrillos a partir de 1795, el primer registro del censo de un fabricante de ladrillos en el Arm es 1851. (b). la instalación, quizás c1810, y la demolición (¿cuándo?) de un almacén utilizado por Pickfords Company (ver mapa detallado) en Arm wharf (c). instalación de un herrero cerca (ver mapa detallado) (d) construcción de cabañas tanto dentro del recinto del patio (para el personal del canal, ver mapa detallado y nota al pie de página, construido en algún momento antes de 1900 y demolido en 1930) y, al otro lado de the road, the building of two farm cottages, before 1900, of inferior bricks next to stables , modernised c1970. Also an undated snippet is the fact that the Northampton Arm was one of the last waterways on the system to operate a horse supplied by the canal company.

c1870 - Arm Farm was taken by new tenants - the Savage family hence the name, now forgotten, for two semi-detached houses opposite the canal yard - Savages Cottages.

1895 - Thomas Millner became Canal Manager for the local section (Braunston to Fenny Stratford) and made the Arm his HQ and taking over from a Mr. Cooke. He lived in the Toll Cottage to begin with but in 1900 he took over a large double cottage as his residence - Canal House. He named his operational base there "Gayton Maintenance Yard", consistent with Grand Junction Canal convention at the time which was to refer to the nearest village by road. By this time, the conventional name for the hamlet was Blisworth Arm as judged by the census documents. Mr. Cooke later departed for USA - he was "fed up with England".

1905 - At Millner's request, a windmill pump and borehole was established near the top lock on the Northampton Arm so that piped 'mains' water could be provided for his house, the boater's services, the brickworks in both Savage's and Asplin's time and the maintenance yard. All this supply is thought to be from a high mounted reservoir near the lock - long since removed. I n later years the Navigation Inn, while still part of the Grafton Estate, was included in the supply. Evidently Millner thought that the Navigation Inn was an important asset in promoting the smooth running of canal business! He makes his support in 1915 plain for all to see.

1911 - Mr. Savage's brickworks just to the north of bridge No.2 ("Arm End Brickyard") was relinquished to a new tenant W.T. Asplin. In the 1914 Kelly directory he is recorded a brick and tile-maker. However, he ceased to use the brickworks from 1917 onwards.
Bridge No.48 on the main cut, "Junction Br.", was taken down and completely rebuilt. There was a fault in its foundations.

1912 - Perhaps as a result of last year's bridge trouble, bridges on the Arm were strengthened with iron ties.

c1919 - Arm Farm was bought by W. T. Asplin who may have been the Grafton tenant there for many years (Grafton records lost in a fire).

1919 - Lot 19 in the Duke of Grafton's Estate sale - The Navigation Inn was sold to Phipps Brewery, Northampton - resident publican A. E. Abram. See details in the associated page.

1919 - Millner recommended in a letter to his bosses in London that they acquire Lots 20 and 21 in the sale - ". I think the acquisition would be beneficial to the company" : (Lot 20) "A valuable brickyard and pasture field - all buildings and the chimney shaft belonging to the tenant W. T. Asplin of Milton" - bought by GJCCC. for 500 with the let continuing - but it seems it lasted only for 2 years. GJCCC management had no idea what this plot would be used for - "let's not sell cottage plots to the public, we might want to build our own staff cottages". The area later became a source of puddling clay.

1919 - Lot 21 was sold for 75 to W. T. Asplin (preference given to the tenant) with the wharf presumably used for sand and brick distribution by canal. GJCCC wanted this plot and attempted to buy it from Asplin through the 1920s. Asplin also bought at this time Lot 22, a sand pit, on the other side of the railway (then) for 875.00 - a site now occupied by Kottler Heron and Leyland-DAF commercial vehicles, among others . There are some historic notes based on an article and copies of Deeds made available by Philip Lizius, the present owner of the plot.

1921 - Asplin ends his tenancy at the brickworks having taken down buildings and moved his operation across the railway. He used local labour in the move.

1929 - The canal through this area, formerly the Grand Junction Canal, was designated part of the Grand Union Canal.

1931 - Russian Oil Products Ltd. (R.O.P.) took a small piece of land, rented from GUCCC, as a depot for petrol distribution. At the time, GUCCC considered a whole list of possible sites but erred in favour of this one because of the perceived fire risk.
Thomas Millner, having retired in 1929/30, vacated Canal House (he died in Watford 1943 and was buried with wife Bena at Gayton). Millner's successor in 1929 was Charles N. Hadlow who took up residence in the Toll Cottage while Canal House was let privately.

1930 - Before WWII the c anal fishing rights on the Arm were rented by Northampton Angling Society at a cost of about 10 per mile per annum.

c1936 - Recorded in a postal directory is Claude Frederick Harlow at the Toll Cottage. This is of course C. Hadlow.

War Years - It is thought that Hadlow possibly shared his house during the war years when the whole canal network was 'taken over' by the government. The Toll Cottage was accommodation for a government official and his family, Ernest G. Dale, who described himself as a GUCCC employee and whose job it was to manage the storage of strategic emergency foods. In 1940 Dale took over the R.O.P. depot after the petrol tanks and pumps had all been removed and started to store foodstuffs. By 1942/3 his operation must have transferred into the much favoured Blisworth (Westley) mill building which had become GUCCC property by then (see link below for John Dale's memoirs). Aerial photos of 1947 (NRO) show one small shed and an empty plot accommodating a looped drive with in- and out-gates.

1946 - GUCCC let the old disused petrol depot, newly referred to as Depot No.3, to Derngate Motors for a while and then opted to again offer it to petrol and oil companies [there must have been some canal benefit from this?] People recall Esso, Texaco and Shell being involved but the most 'solid' seems to be that the depot was used by Watsons Oils (part of Texaco) - see article link above.

1948 - GUCCC was nationalised on January 1, 1948 and came under the control of the Docks & Inland Waterways Executive of the British Transport Commission.

c1951 - Arm Farm, still 152 acres, was sold to the Stroud family by Asplin's descendants.

1953 - Easter. The Navigation Inn was closed and sold. See details in the associated page.

1962 - The management of the canal system, whilst still controlled by government, was re-organised as the British Waterways Board which begat British Waterways. By now the annual charge for fishing rights had been increased by British Waterways to 200 per mile which resulted in different clubs taking over the waters. They used to come out by bus and were dropped off at bridge points. It became a little industry - some canal-side houses providing tea, hot water, sandwiches and confectionery. The push and pull train on the local line would drop off and pick up by request at suitable spots such as the Banbury Lane crossing.

1960 - British Waterways appreciated the excellent clay, for puddling, available at the site of Asplin's old brickworks (Lot 20) and proceeded to extract it. The resulting large hollow filled with water at a level somewhat below that of the neighbouring Arm and even acquired a colony of water lilies (photographed by Walter Alexander) and its own clandestine flock of fishermen who parked on the horse railway 'track' and crept through narrow gaps in the hedge. The place became known as The Lake and there were voices heard 20 years hence in Blisworth - "we want to keep our Lake".

1960 -70 - Arm Farm was bought by Harry Capell of Shutlanger and, in 1963, a new farm house was established near Canal House and named New Arm Farm. Hence a modified name for the main farm - Old Arm Farm. Not long afterwards, c 1970, the farm buildings along the road opposite the yard were modernised.

1967 - After Station Road was adopted and officially named (eight years after there was no station!) by NCC there was the question of signage to the Arm. George Freeston saw fit to lobby County officials that the name of this hamlet should remain as Blisworth Arm and not be transformed into Gayton Arm! There has been good natured discussion ever since - see 1980 entry.

1975 - Brabs Baillion purchased a north section of the wharf next to the yard, thus presumably merging with the Canal House curtilage which then would be extended right to the water edge (annotations to old conveyance at Head Office, British Waterways noticed by D. Blagrove).

1980 - A boat marina was established by enlarging and profiling The Lake in the area that was earlier used as a source of clay for bricks and canal use. The company was initially "Freshwater Marine" and they named the marina "Gayton Water". Alvechurch Leisure and ABC Leisure Group have since called it "Gayton Marina". An early company statement explained they wished to avoid annoyance to locals and confusion with any businesses in Blisworth. It was not going to be easy but they decided to follow GJCCC. (British Waterways) with their designation "Gayton Junction" for the canals there and "Gayton Maintenance Yard" for their operations there even though it resides within Blisworth parish. Besides, the marina is on the Gayton Road from Milton Malsor.

1983 - The building that was once a pub, Navigation Cottage, was extended by the owners, the Holmes family, using the space occupied by stables (latterly a garage) and loft. The loft was the sleeping quarters mentioned by Thomas Henshaw.

1991 - The Blisworth and Milton Malsor A43 Bypass was completed. It uses a section of the levels built for the Northampton and Peterborough railway branch line. Note the access roads put in on the A43 and just visible in the Google image below. They have not been put to any use because projects to commercially develop land in the Arm area, on both sides of the main road, were quashed at the enquiry stage.

2007 - May, a new marina west of the Grand Union Canal was opened - "Blisworth Marina". The excavation involved the removal of 100s tonnes of, unsurprisingly, clay. However, a deep seam of particularly good clay for puddling canals and marinas etc. was found and used there. The extra depth of hole created by removing 'best clay' was backfilled with 'second rate clay'.

2008 - Attempts to develop the hamlet, with a small housing project, were refused planning permission as the hamlet seriously lacks both access and parking provision for vehicles.

2009 - A growing environmental awareness has resulted in attention being focussed on the neglected state of the plot once occupied by the R.O.P. Company (see above) and improvement by the owners is imminent.
An information board has been recently installed by British Waterways at the Arm junction. It draws attention to the turnover bridge, the Toll house, the yard, the Navigation and Canal House thus covering the most obvious of the historical features. The board is entitled "Gayton Junction" to align with British Waterways custom dating from c1920 and, unfortunately, not "Northampton Arm Junction" which would have recalled the c1805 years, thus broadening the historical perspective.

2010 - After years of lobbying the NCC, there was set up proper highway signage in August at the end of Station Road near the railway arch. Future difficulties in, for example, an ambulance finding the Arm should be lessened.


The Canals of England and Wales and their History

The Canals were the &ldquomotorways&rdquo of the 18th Century. In the days when roads were un-surfaced and especially when they quickly deteriorated in the winter to pot-holed muddy tracks, a method was sought by which large heavy cargoes of such commodities as coal, iron ore, grain, china clay, limestone and other building materials and agricultural cargoes such as grain could be transported from the regions of the UK in which they were produced to the docks in London, Liverpool, Bristol and so on. Some clever person came up with &ldquothe canal system&rdquo, by which boats with cargoes could be moved easily and relatively cheaply on water across country, by one or two people in a canal boat plus a reliable heavy horse to act as the force which propelled the canal boat along.

A horse drawing a narrowboat along the canal cut - photo reproduced by kind permission

of Blisworth Images and taken by P Digby.

Canals were not a new concept. The Romans built them for exactly the purpose for which they were required in the 18th Century (i.e. to move heavy cargoes from A to B) and also for the transportation of large amounts of water across valleys and hills. However, it was only with the dawn of the Industrial Revolution in the 18th Century that entrepreneurs realized the potential of canal construction. They banded together and lobbied Parliament to pass Acts which enabled the construction of canals to commence. The necessary money for investment was quickly raised, and huge gangs of workers were rounded up to start the mammoth task of digging &ldquothe Cuts&rdquo.

Old photo of horse drawing a narrowboat on a canal - photo reproduced by permission with grateful thanks to Blisworth Images. Photographer unknown.


The Cuts were literally that &ndash cuttings into the landscape to enable the water to be channeled along, thus linking rivers and towns. It was easier to dig canal cuttings by following the contours of the land as far as possible. Where major changes in the gradients occurred a different approach was required. In order to make provision for the water to &ldquogo up&rdquo and &ldquogo down&rdquo so to speak (and thus to raise and lower boats and their cargoes) locks had to be constructed. The locks were &ndash again &ndash basic technology for the time, but this was the first time that the system of locks had been employed so extensively. The lock system was a wonder of the age. In order to raise boats up steep hills whole staircases of locks were designed, and new systems of filling them with water were devised, such as side pounds. It was an exciting time.

Old photo showing "Navvies" working on "The Cut" - photo reproduced with kind permission of Blisworth Images

Most of the labourers employed in the canal digs were from Ireland and the industrial north of England. They became known as &ldquoNavigators&rdquo or &ldquoNavvies&rdquo for short, and the term is still in use to this day for labourers on building sites. In a space of a little over 30 years most of England from the Thames up to the Yorkshire coalfields was criss-crossed with inter-connecting canals.

Some of the canals were cut through hillsides in deep tunnels. This set a problem for the boat people who could not lead a horse through the tunnels because there was no towpath inside. The boats had to be propelled through the tunnels by means of men lying on boards across the top of the narrowboats and literally walking (or "legging") the boats through the length of the cold dark tunnels. Some of the tunnels were over a kilometre in length and this must have been a simply awesome feat.

"Leggers" walking a narrowboat through a tunnel - photos reproduced by kind permission of Blisworth Images and with grateful thanks to Rick Muir and L Hack.

The narrow boats were hauled along by giant Shire horses who plodded along the towpaths at the side of the canals, towing their laden narrow boats behind them. Cargoes were being transported from the Black Country to Liverpool docks via such canals as the Duke of Bridgewater&rsquos canal. He financed this one by himself &ndash and reaped the huge profits which arose from its construction.

As far as the Canals and the River Thames were concerned, the thrust was to get cargoes from the Midlands and the North of England down to the docks in the East End of London. This was very successful, and even up until the Second World War the canals were thriving. By the 1950ies however the whole system of moving cargoes by water was in decline, and a new approach was necessary - or the canals would be filled in once again.

Thanks largely to the great work of the Inland Waterways Association, and societies like them who campaigned tirelessly on behalf of the canals and conducted a relentless battle to save the inland waterways from destruction, a renewed interest in them grew up 40 years ago. L.T.C. Rolt wrote his now famous classic book &ldquoNarrow Boat&rdquo, which did much to inspire new generations of people who wanted to experience life on the canals for themselves. Another famous campaigner, Robert Aickman, cruised the waterways and wrote articles that created the publicity that forced local authorities to repair canal routes that had illegally been allowed to become scarcely passable. Gradually people began to see the leisure possibilities in the network of canals that remained.

Narrowboat on Oxford Canal - photo courtesy JB

The traditional narrow boat was adapted for leisure use, and boat builders created boats which were the height of luxury, complete with diesel powered engines, showers, fridges and freezers and TVs. All About Boats in the BoatBuilders section .

Hire boat companies sprung up the length and breadth of the canal network, and holidays afloat the canals are now extremely popular. The view of the countryside from your own boat as it gently glides down a canal is unique. You can be lucky and see all kinds of wildlife such as otters and kingfishers, and life becomes very relaxed until the next lock has to be navigated! Then it is all hands to the deck as the balance beams of the lock gates have to be closed and the windlasses have to be wound up or down to raise the paddles which let water into the lock. For more details of Canal boating holidays visit Boating Holidays and Short Breaks

Locking through - balance beam on the last lock of the Oxford Canal - photo courtesy JB

Restoration and campaigning work continues to be undertaken on behalf of the Canals &ndash our great national asset, like the River Thames &ndash by such notables as David Suchet and Lionel Monk and by the tireless efforts of the enthusiasts of the Inland Waterways Association and the Waterways Recovery Group.

The following pages are devoted to aspects of the Canals that connect with the River Thames. Click on them to obtain further information


Blisworth Tunnel

Blisworth Tunnel, in Northamptonshire, is one of the longest in Britain. 3076 yards long and broad enough for two narrowboats to pass, it is surpassed only by Standedge Tunnel (on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal) and Dudley Tunnel in the Black Country near Birmingham.

Building Blisworth Tunnel, was the most troublesome part of the Grand Junction Canal's (now known as the Grand Union Canal) construction. When work began, in 1793, the building of a 3km tunnel was a major feat of engineering with no mechanical aids beyond the basic picks, shovels and wheelbarrows available. To add to their basic problems, just three years into the project the navvies hit quicksand. All work had to be abandoned and a new course begun.

Once built, Blisworth had a tunnel tug until 1936.


Gayton Wood Farm/Mining the Gayton Parish


View Larger Map
An overview of the history of the mining/quarrying relating to the former Northampton & Banbury Junction railway (which became the former Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction railway – SMJ) in the area of Gayton, a village near Blisworth in the county of Northamptonshire (bridge 1 to bridge 5)

Mining of the earth’s natural resources in the Blisworth area of Northamptonshire has been evident for many centuries. This short piece is, if nothing else a way of me putting things straight in my head in relationship to quarrying in the area and the new railway.
This new line, which started out in May 1866 as the Northampton & Banbury Junction railway, (N&BJR) opening as it did a short section from Blisworth on the main London, Birmingham line of Stephenson, 1838 to Towcester was built on the premise of the movement of all the ore from the area. The Towcester section was subsequently followed up by an extension to a junction with the LMW,R at Cockley Brake and so into Banbury.

The company had great plans to run onto South Wales but these plans were never realised and the company was to struggle to survive. The N&BJR became part of the SMJ in 1910 , the section between Blisworth and Towcester having built strong links with the mining/quarrying in the parish of Gayton in the interim years. Mining/quarrying was evident on both sides of the line and transhipment points had been constructed along the branch.

The SMJ’s bridge 1 took the minor road from Blisworth to Rothersthorpe over the line then immediately alongside that (and still is – bridge 1 having been demolished in reference to the construction of the Blisworth bypass) was a small bridge over the London to Birmingham line of 1838. The road down to the Walnut Inn (formerly the station pub) sits on the former SMJ trackbed.

As we travel along the line from Blisworth to Towcester we can see the line of a chord facing north which ran from the main line and came in to run parallel with the SMJ albeit initially substantially lower than the SMJ which at this point was on an embankment. This private line I believe to be the Blisworth Ironstone sidings, it most certainly did meet up with tramway which passed over SMJ bridge 2 a few tens of chains along which fed quarries on both sides of the N&BJ,R. These sidings were connected to, or were in fact Wheldon’s sidings. Around 1888, Wheldon’s sidings moved from a location a few chains further west and a simple transhipment point was created in the shape of an over-bridge running across 3 or 4 sidings from where quarried material was tipped from the lesser tramway wagons into mainline wagons to be taken away. The private sidings had a connection with the N&BJ,R which had closed by 1927. The Blisworth Ironstone sidings themselves were completely lifted by 1950 although their bed can been seen clearly on Google today.

The Wheldon’s sidings itself undertook a number of changes in its life and having moved in 1888 from further west did run under bridge 3 which carried the Gayton/Blisworth road alongside the N&BJ,R. At one point having both a West and East connection, materials were able to be taken from nearby quarry workings from the tramways and onto the N&BJ.R/SMJ and taken away.

One mystery as we continue our journey from Blisworth comes in the shape of bridge 1A. There are two unnumbered culverts which pass beneath the line at this point to aid drainage but bridge 1A doesn't quite fit in . 58 chains along and listed as 1A on the piers that remain, and listed as such on the bridge detail, a document which is available here Bridge numbers

Bridge 1A’s main supports are quite complete, consisting of several straight brick towers looking like they’d hold a simple flat platform across the culvert which runs to the north side of the track bed. They are alongside what became Richard Thomas’s sidings, which fed the quarrying at the Gayton Wood Farm site – but not until 1940’s, more of which to follow. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/albums/richard-thomasthe-tramway

At the site of bridge 1A on an early map from around 1870 there is something which passes under the (or so it seems) the new railway dog-legging left to join the Gayton/Blisworth road passing over the previously mentioned transhipment point and Wheldon’s sidings. Remember, The sidings of Richard Thomas’s didn’t come into being until the 1940’s. It is possible that the track bed at this
point took on a slightly different look to what it became .

And so to bridge 2. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/bridge-2 context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165 Bridge 2 (of which the north pier still remains) at 58 chains was just past the former junction with the former Wheldon’s sidings, which would explain the existence of a P-Way hut (still extant) on the spot. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/permanent-way-hut-along-side/next?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
The area was awash with quarrying both sides of the line. Along with the main railway lines, many temporary tramways were set up, being constantly moved and extended to keep up with the quarrying. The large field alongside bridge 2 to the south (I will call it field 1) was no exception.

From before 1900 field 1 had been plundered for its many resources and so warranted connections to both the railway, and the canal at Blisworth. Bridge 2 took a tramway across the then N&BJ,R to the transhipment point where Wheldon’s sidings met the Blisworth Ironstone sidings, initially running straight into the field due south as this is where the quarrying was.

Around the same time quarrying began in the field to the west of the previous field (I shall call it field 2) and so further transhipment points were required.

https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/alignment-of-gayton-wood-farm?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
A tramway was set up which went to the railway at one end, and the canal at the other. There were 2 railway over-bridges around this point, bridges 4 and 5. Bridge 4 was an occupation bridge for Gayton Wilds Farm and bridge 5 too, an occupation bridge. Bridge 4 though seemed to have once taken a trackway across it as seen on an early 19th century map, bridge 5 was too possibly a tramway
bridge as there is evidence of a tramway from the quarrying to a simple transhipment point in connection with Wheldon’s original sidings in-between bridges 4 and 5 which consisted of a simple Shute system for transferring quarried materials to mainline wagons from tramway wagons. Wheldon’s sidings here were connected to the N&BJ,R. A further tramway ran north from here to further quarries south of Gayton village.

Field 2 was to the north of an area of quarrying which became Gayton Wood Farm which was amongst some of the last quarry in the area – working as it did ‘til the late 60’s and it too supported several tramways. I imagine when mining in field 1 became exhausted, (dates seem to support a slow movement west of the quarrying) a bridge was built under the Gayton/Blisworth road (and I would say quite a while ago – possibly around 1900/1920.

The bridges which are still extant today (but may not have been the original ones) and the tramway which came over bridge 2 was diverted under the new bridge to support the quarrying in field
2. As stated, quarrying, and the subsequent support needed such as tramways were a very fluid affair. Tramways were extended to where the quarrying was. In the early 40’s the sidings of Richard Thomas’s were constructed. 3 sidings which ran parallel with the then SMJ and fed by ground frames at each end at around 68 chains from Blisworth.

https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/gayton-wood-farm-branch?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
The line passed through a small cutting and over a slight embankment on its relatively steep journey down to the SMJ. Passing through field 1 and into field 2 it sprouted many tramways along the way and, as the quarry had passed on that way under another concrete bridge into the quarries of Gayton Wood Farm which ran down to the former Blisworth/Towcester road.

The line to Gayton Wood from Richard Thomas’s sidings was of mainline standard and at Gayton Wood farm engines sheds, a weighbridge and a maintenance department were built to service
and support the locos which worked there as well as moving, weighing etc the outgoing quarrying materials before they passed under the two concrete bridges on their way down the hill to Richard Thomas’s.

Gayton Wood was worked until 1968. It’s huge excavators a feature landmark of the Blisworth area. The noise, the sounds of drilling and excavating well know to the people of Blisworth.

Now all gone, all that remains are the over-grown memories, the engine sheds are still there at Gayton Wood and the quarrying holes have conveniently filled with water and fish! A small hut which once might have been an inspectors hut or similar sits in the middle of one of the fishing lakes, half poking out of the waters looking somewhat incongruous and in for an unsure future. The fields about are full of humps and bumps of a bygone age.

The SMJ tracked bed can be walked from bridge 3 all the way to the Walnut Inn at Blisworth which will serve you a nice drink for your efforts. There are more questions than answers along the way so if you have a few – do let me know and hopefully someone will have the corresponding answers!

The action on the map above all happens bottom left. Note Gayton House, the Tiffield/Blisworth road and all the tramways/rail lines between Gayton Wood Farm and the then N&B Junction railway.


Cerraduras

When Benjamin Bevan was given the job of designing locks at Foxton he faced two major problems. The first was water, which was in short supply on the 20 mile summit pound of the canal. The second was the steep escarpment which he needed to use to get the canal from one level to the next. He combined solutions to both problems.

Work on Foxton Locks started in 1810 and was officially opened 4 years later in 1814. A trip through the ten locks takes about 45 minutes to ascend/descend the 75 ft rise. The ten locks consist of two "staircases" of five, located on the Leicester line of the Grand Union Canal, about 5 km west of the Leicestershire town of Market Harborough.

GRAND UNION

The Grand Junction Canal was built to improve the communications between Birmingham and the Midlands and London. It received its Act in 1793 and was fully opened in 1805. Its major engineering works were the two long tunnels at Blisworth and Braunston, and the long and deep cutting at Tring summit. LEE MAS

INCLINED PLANE

Opened in 1900. With the coming of the railways, competition was starting to bite. Fellows Morton and Clayton (FMC) wanted to use bigger boats to take coal from the north to the London factories. The lift was built by J & H Gwynne of Hammersmith, London. They got the job as they proposed using hydraulic power for the gates and ancillary equipment. It consisted of two tanks or caissons linked by wire rope. A steam driven winch at the top wound the rope on to one side of its drum and simultaneously let it off the other, raising and lowering the tanks. Each tank was full of water and weighed 230 tons with or without a boat. Two boats or one barge would fit in to each tank. The gradient was 1 in 4. CONTINUED on Foxton Inclined Plane Trust web site

GRAND UNION LEICESTER SECTION

What is now called the &lsquoLeicester Line&rsquo comprised two canals which were bought by the Grand Junction Canal in 1894: the Leicestershire & Northamptonshire Union Canal and the &lsquoold&rsquo Grand Union Canal.

The river Soar had been made navigable up to Loughborough by 1780, and the route was extended to Leicester in 1794. The Leicestershire & Northamptonshire Union Canal was promoted to continue the waterway to Market Harborough and Northampton, where it would meet the River Nene and the planned branch from the Grand Junction Canal at Gayton.

By 1797, when construction had only reached Gumley Debdale, the money had been used up. More was raised in 1805, and the canal got to Market Harborough four years later. LEE MAS


How much is my home worth?

Get closer to what matters

Find an agent

Explore Zoopla

Build your business

Links to Zoopla's social media accounts

Legal and corporate information

© 2021 Zoopla Limited. Reservados todos los derechos.

Sold house prices provided by Land Registry/Registers of Scotland. © Crown copyright 2021 .

Our website is completely free for you to use but we may receive a commission from some of the companies we link to on the site.

*Zoopla Limited is an appointed representative of Uswitch Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 312850) to provide this mortgage comparison service.

**Uswitch Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under firm reference number 312850. The Home insurance comparison service is provided by Autonet Insurance Services Ltd, registered in England No. 3642372. Autonet Insurance Services Ltd has its registered office at Nile Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent ST6 2BA United Kingdom. AutoNet Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) (Registration number: 308213).

***Based on a search within the London postcode areas (E, EC, N, NW, SE, SW, W, WC) on other UK online property portals. As of 11 Mar 2019.

List of site sources >>>


Ver el vídeo: 159. Winter cruising on my narrowboat! Napton to Brinklow Part 1 of 2 (Enero 2022).